Each student needs:
- 20 alphabet beads (6-7 mm) with the letters A, C, G, and/or T. Available for very reasonable prices ($2.00 for a bag of 100 beads) from Enterprise Art Item #1299011 (A), #1299013 (C), #1299013 (G), #1299030 (T)
- 40 colored beads (6-7 mm) to represent phosphates. See Enterprise Art ($2.19 for a bag of 1000) Item #100420 (red).
- 40 colored beans (6-7 mm) to represent sugars. See Enterprise Art ($2.19 for a bag of 1000) Item #100463 (turquoise).
- 20-30 seed beads in assorted colors to represent hydrogen bonds. See Enterprise Art ($1.99 for 75 grams of assorted seed beads) Item #144117.
- 40 cm of beading wire (26-28 gauge). See Enterprise Art ($2.54 per spool) Item #430602 (silver).
- Optional: earring hooks, Christmas ornament wires, wire loops for pendants, key rings, etc. See Enterprise Art ($2.54 for 48 fishhook earring hooks) Item #144202 (silver).
Groups of 4-6 students need:
- Small condiment cups and trays on which to organize and set out materials.
- Wire cutters. (Do not use scissors! They will be ruined.)
See Teacher Background in Paper DNA Models Lesson.
Good understanding of DNA structure. See Paper DNA Models Lesson.