4. DNA Models - Logistics
30 minutes to cut DNA model pieces (It is possible to assign each student a sheet of puzzle pieces to cut out as homework the night before.)
20 minutes to assemble puzzle
10 minutes to tape puzzle together
10-20 minutes to discuss DNA structure and the discovery of the DNA structure
Individual students gradually linking their puzzles together to create a long strand.
- Copies of puzzle pieces, each on a different colored paper. For a group of 30 students you will need:
- 4 copies each of A, C, T, and G
- 8-9 copies of P
- 11-12 copies each of S-deoxyribose
- Several rolls of Scotch tape.
- Optional: several rolls of 2” packing tape (use if you want to “laminate” the models for display).
- Bins or trays on which to keep the puzzle pieces. One for every 4-6 students.