1. Is it alive? - Getting Ready
Glue monsters demo:
- Place a Petri dish half full of water on the overhead projector.
- Set aside a small dish of pencil shavings or black pepper.
- Try the demo yourself first, rehearsing the “release” of the “monsters” into the dish and their “feeding” with pepper or pencil shavings.
- Optional: wrap the tube of glue in paper or keep it in a brown paper bag so that students cannot tell what the “monsters” really are.
Alive or not alive card sorting:
- Copy sorting cards onto cardstock paper.
- Cut the cards apart.
- Place cards in an envelope.
- Optional: include some extra blank cards for students to add their own items to the set.
Characteristics of life list:
- Set out butcher paper or flip chart paper and markers.