5. Slimy cells - Getting Ready
- Make copies of the Slimy Cell Models handout (or make a single transparency copy for the teacher).
- Set out assorted materials for the cell parts in a sort of buffet line.
- Set out graduated cylinders, 50 ml beakers, ziplock bags,
To make PVA solution:
- Bring 5.76 liters of water to a boil in a very large pot.
- Measure out 240 g PVA.
- Mix PVA into boiling water. Simmer on medium-low heat, stirring regularly, for 10-15 minutes or until all PVA has been dissolved.
- Allow PVA solution time to cool slightly in the pot.
- Pour into 3 or 4 two liter bottles.
To make Borax solution:
- In a large container, combine 1.5 liters of water with 75 g Borax.
- Stir until fully dissolved.
- Distribute the Borax solution among 9-12 pop-top water bottles.
- Add 3-4 drops of food coloring to each of the bottles. I made my stock solutions the standard red, yellow and blue so that my students could mix the colors themselves to achieve other colors of the rainbow.