5. Seafloor Spreading - Logistics
30-50 min hypothesize plate motions
20-25 min build seafloor spreading models and discuss evidence
30-35 min study models and describe types of plate boundaries
Inferring the direction of plate motion will occur in groups of 2 or 3. Making models of seafloor spreading takes place individually.
- Cardstock paper
- Copy of Seafloor Spreading Model Pieces on cardstock for each student
- Colored pencils
- Students’ color coded World Earthquake Maps from Plate Patterns lesson
- Large labeled world map from Plate Patterns lesson or a copy of the “This Dynamic Planet” poster from the USGS, $14 + $5 handling
- Optional: Pictures, animations or other information showing seafloor spreading, magnetic survey maps of the ocean floor, or age maps of the ocean floor (see sources section for resources).