5. Seafloor Spreading - Getting Ready
Color coded and labelled world earthquake map: Original USGS earthquake epicenters map with mid-ocean ridges in orange, volcanic zones in red, and tectonic plate boundaries outlined in blue. See This Dynamic Planet website to download an unlabelled original.
- Make a copy of the Seafloor Spreading Model Pieces on cardstock paper for each student
- Set out scissors and colored pencils
- Remind students to bring their color coded World Earthquake Maps from Plate Patterns lesson
- At the front of the room display the large labeled world map from Plate Patterns lesson or a copy of the “This Dynamic Planet” poster from the USGS