Week 1 - Pretrip
Monday - Observation Mariposas in the classroom, camouflaging into the room, see whose lasts the longest between 6th and 7th grade.
Tuesday - Observation Activity Reciprocal teaching from old textbook section on two theories at play Lamarck and Darwin
Wednesday - Day in the life of Darwin/ Scientist post Boat to pre publishing. Using observations and note taking. See United Streaming for video, interactive video watching.
Thursday - Quiz on two theories, Set up Journal for next week.
Friday - At school adaptation lab/ adaptation, pull it in with the butterflies at the beginning of the week.
Week 2 - Point Reyes Field Trip
Monday - Driving in the morning
• Bear Valley center and rotate through visitor center
• Earthquake trail
• Miwok village
Tuesday - Learning to Observe:
• Unnatural Trail
• At camp adaptations games, like Scrub jay and tit mouse.
• Solo hike Hidden Valley Trail
• If clear star night or camp fire
Wednesday - Morning Hike to the Tide Pools
• Look at adaptations of Tidal Animals at different zones, a lot of note taking.
• professor hike organisms and how they interact with each other
• Ideas for animal to live in Pt Reyes.
Thursday - Drive to the Light House
• Visit the light house
• Visit calving area, Adaptations by elephant seals
• Predation and population control game, Oh deer, and coyote and rabbit.
• Campfire at beach
Friday - Pack and come home
• Break down and clean camp
• Closing circle at the beach
• Drive back to Gridley
Week 3 - Clean up and pull it all together
Monday & Tuesday - Extinction and the role it plays in evolution
• Timeline of major extinctions
• “What if” no extinctions
• Catastrophes Continuation of yesterday
Wednesday - Use of fossils, geology and comparative anatomy (use whales in comparative anatomy)
Have them write a letter after partner reading the text defending the evolution of whales from a land mammal to the water.
Thursday - Work on Animals from Point Reyes, and where they will be in 1 million years
Friday - Quiz on extinction and three clues of evolution. Journals due. Animals due next week. Go into Human evolution.