For Subsidence Demonstration
- Make 3-4 hole-punch sized holes in the bottom of the cup or tray.
- Cut a square of cheesecloth to cover the holes.
- Add a 4 inch layer of soil.
- Put the tray inside the larger basin to catch any runoff. Water the soil until water just begins to drip out the holes in the bottom.
- Use the hand trowel to fluff the soil slightly and then smooth the top surface so that it is mostly even.
- Use a piece of masking tape to mark the top of the soil. Match the bottom edge of the tape to the top of the soil.
- Fill the watering can about halfway with water.
- In the pitcher or second watering can, create a mixture of soil and water - approximately 1 cup soil for 2 parts water. Stir.
- Open PBS’s NOW website on the computer you plan to use. Click on “Watch the Video”.
- Preview the video now or pause it to be ready to go when the kids arrive.