Closed Chemistry- Design and build a closed structure in which a chemical reaction can occur. You will present your demonstration to the class providing evidence for conservation of mass. The presentation should include a poster of the balanced chemical equation for your reaction.
Model Mania- Using a poster, create a balanced chemical equation display with atom molecule cut-outs. The exhibit should include at least 5 examples of balanced equations and written formulas.
- Quiz- The key terms and the difference between chemical and physical reactions.
- Skill Check- Read and interpret graphs of various chemical reactions.
- Work Sample- Create a chart that lists several examples of physical versus chemical changes that occur naturally around us.
- Prompt- If you were hired as a fire fighter, what methods would you use to combat fires?
Student Self-Assessment and Reflection:
- Self-assess the demonstration lesson, Closed Chemistry.
- Self-assess the chemical equation display, Model Mania.
- At the beginning of the unit the students are asked to complete a warm-up activity entitled, “What I know about chemical reactions and conservation of matter.” At the end of the unit, the same warm-up is returned to the student and the class reflects on what facts they have added to their knowledge base.