Sediment Study - Getting Ready
For sediment study at the creek:
- Contact the proper authorities/property owners/neighbors to obtain permission to bring your students to your chosen survey site.
- Copy Sediment Study Directions.
- Prepare “creek kits” with: paper towels, spoon or small hand trowel, hand lens or magnifying glass, 4 meter length of string tied into a knot every 1 meter, skewers, ruler, timer, film canisters, Sharpie marker, masking tape, and gloves
- Prepare teacher bag.
- Arrange transportation to and from the survey site.
- Display the topographic map showing the creek you will be studying.
For classroom analysis:
- Prepare soil separation station with: 15 ml tubes, alum, ruler, labels, spoons, and directions
- Copy Data Summary Sheets for students to summarize their data and post for everyone to view.
- On a bulletin board, wall, or at the top of the front whiteboard/chalkboard, create 3 areas for students to post their Data Summary Sheets.
Submitted by irene on Tue, 2005-12-06 22:43