5. Slimy cells - Getting Ready
- Make copies of the Slimy Cell Models handout (or make a single transparency copy for the teacher).
- Set out assorted materials for the cell parts in a sort of buffet line.
- Set out graduated cylinders, 50 ml beakers, ziplock bags,
To make PVA solution:
- Bring 5.76 liters of water to a boil in a very large pot.
- Measure out 240 g PVA.
- Mix PVA into boiling water. Simmer on medium-low heat, stirring regularly, for 10-15 minutes or until all PVA has been dissolved.
- Allow PVA solution time to cool slightly in the pot.
- Pour into 3 or 4 two liter bottles.
To make Borax solution:
- In a large container, combine 1.5 liters of water with 75 g Borax.
- Stir until fully dissolved.
- Distribute the Borax solution among 9-12 pop-top water bottles.
- Add 3-4 drops of food coloring to each of the bottles. I made my stock solutions the standard red, yellow and blue so that my students could mix the colors themselves to achieve other colors of the rainbow.
Submitted by irene on Thu, 2006-07-27 22:03