7. Habitat Survey - Getting Ready
For habitat survey:
- Contact the proper authorities/property owners/neighbors to obtain permission to bring your students to your chosen survey site.
- Copy Habitat Survey Sheets. Make extra copies of the last 2 pages for the vegetation and insect surveys to bring with you in case students find more examples of plants or insects than their sheet allows them to fill in.
- Prepare “creek kits” with: petri dish, pH paper, water, paper towels, ziplock bag, spoon or small hand trowel, hand lens or magnifying glass, 4 meter length of string tied into a knot every 1 meter, scotch tape, and stakes.
- Prepare teacher bag.
- Arrange transportation to and from the survey site.
For classroom analysis:
- Set up an example of a Soil separation test and a Tullgren funnel test at each of those stations.
- Prepare 2 stations around the classroom with the materials needed to conduct that test and a printout of the instructions.
- Soil separation: 15 ml tubes, alum, ruler, labels, 2 different soils labeled in plastic cups, spoons
- Tullgren Funnel: lightbulbs, funnels, cheesecloth squares, funnel holder, petridishes or cups, labels, 2 different soils labeled in plastic cups, spoons
Submitted by irene on Sun, 2005-10-02 16:11